Check Last Minute Availability
» Hiking Notice:
Visitors are urged to use caution on trails and to not go beyond fences or overlooks. Erosion can cause the canyon walls to collapse.
Georgia’s “Little Grand Canyon” is a testament to the power of man’s influence on the land. Massive gullies as deep as 150 feet were caused simply by poor farming practices during the 1800s, yet today they make some of the prettiest photographs within the state. The rare Plumleaf Azalea grows only in this region and blooms during July and August when most azaleas have lost their color. The canyon soil’s pink, orange, red and purple hues make a beautiful natural painting at this quiet park.
Visitors can enjoy views of the canyons from the rim trail, taking care to stay behind fences and off the fragile canyon edge. Hikers who explore the deepest canyons will usually find a thin layer of water along the trail, indication of the water table below. Guests who hike to canyons 4 and 5 may want to join the Canyon Climbers Club. Backpackers can stay overnight along the backcountry trail which highlights portions of the canyon and winds through mixed forest. Camping, cottages and efficiency units are available nearby at Florence Marina State Park on 45,000-acre Lake Walter F. George.
$5 parking. Annual passes available.
September 15–April 14 7 a.m.–6 p.m.
April 15–September 14 7 a.m.–9 p.m.
March 1–May 31 & September 1–November 30
Friday–Sunday 8 a.m.–5 p.m.
Accommodations & Facilities:
• 1,003 Acres
• 2 Picnic Shelters ($35)
• 3 Pioneer Campsites ($40–$80)
• 6 Backcountry Campsites ($10/person)
• Visitor's Center — seasonal
Things To Do & See:
• Hiking — 3 miles of trails; Canyon Climbers Club
• Backpacking — 7-mile backcountry trail
• Astronomy & Geology Programs
• Albany, Georgia
• Americus-Sumter County, Georgia
• Columbus, Georgia
• Eufaula National Wildlife Refuge
• Flint River Aquarium, Albany
• Florence Marina State Park (camping/cottages)
• George T. Bagby State Park & Lodge (cottages/lodge)
• Kolomoki Mounds State Park (camping)
• Pine Mountain, Georgia
• Macon, Georgia
• Meadowlinks Golf Course at George T. Bagby
• Rome, Georgia
• Westville Historic Village