Check Last Minute Availability
OPEN SEASONALLY: From December 1–February 28, the office and campground are closed. However, the log cabin bunkhouses, equestrian campsites and horse stalls are open on a first-come, first-served basis.
One of the most picturesque state parks in Georgia, Watson Mill Bridge contains the longest covered bridge in the state, spanning 229 feet across the South Fork River. Built in 1885 by Washington (W.W.) King, son of freed slave and famous covered-bridge builder Horace King, the bridge is supported by a town lattice truss system held firmly together with wooden pins. At one time, Georgia had more than 200 covered bridges; today, less than 20 remain.
The park is an ideal spot for an afternoon picnic or overnight stay in the quiet campground. Hiking, biking and horseback riding trails allow visitors to enjoy the thick forest and river. During summer, visitors often play in the cool river shoals just below the bridge. Watson Mill Bridge has become a popular destination for horse owners who have their own camping area near stalls.
$5 parking. Annual passes available.
Reservation Season: March 1–November 30
7 a.m.–10 p.m.
8 a.m.–5 p.m. (seasonal)
Accommodations & Facilities:
• 1,118 Acres
• Covered Bridge
• 20 Campsites ($26–$30) — seasonal
• 11 Horse Campground Campsites ($26–$30)
• 22 Horse Stables ($15)
• 3 Log Cabin Bunkhouses
(sleeps 8, $85)
• Group Shelter (seats 80, $75–$125) — seasonal
• 3 Picnic Shelters ($35)
• 3 Pioneer Campsites ($35) — seasonal
Things To Do & See:
— 7 miles of trails
• Biking — 5 miles of trails; Muddy Spokes Club
• Kayak, Canoe & Pedal Boat Rental — seasonal
• Horseback Riding (trail fee, annual pass available) — 14 miles of trails; rules of equestrian trail use
• Fishing — catfish, bass, bream
— park approval required
• Arrowhead Pointe Golf Course at Richard B. Russell
• Athens, Georgia
• Georgia's Classic South
• Highland Walk Golf Course at Victoria Bryant
• Richard B. Russell State Park
• Robert Toombs House State Historic Site
• Victoria Bryant State Park
• University of Georgia
Watson Mill Bridge State Park Business Plan