LAKE NOTICE: The lake at Fort Yargo is currently drawn down. Thank you for your patience with us as we strive to maintain the natural beauty of the lake by cleaning around the lake’s edge and making needed repairs and upgrades in and around the lake. The lake should be back to full capacity before the spring season.
» Group Boat Reservations:
› Group tours offered weekdays only and must be booked in advance.
"Nestled as a natural refuge in the city of Winder, Fort Yargo State Park offers you a nearby escape from metro-life with exciting adventures along multiple recreational trails including one of the only remaining forts for early settlers."
Located between Atlanta and Athens, this popular park features a 1792 log fort built by settlers for protection against Creek and Cherokee Indians. Today, visitors come to Fort Yargo for its wide variety of outdoor recreation and scenery. Overnight guests can choose from fully equipped cottages, adventure cabins or cozy campsites. For a more unique experience, visitors can reserve lakeside “glamping” yurts, which are permanent canvas and wooden "tents." Each yurt has furniture and electricity inside and a fire ring, picnic table and grill outside.
A 260-acre lake offers a large swimming beach, fishing and boat ramps. Mountain bikers and hikers can test their endurance on 20.5 miles of trails. The park’s wooded disc golf course is exceptionally challenging. Fort Yargo State Park is also a beautiful location for outdoor weddings, reunions and other celebrations. Visitors have a choice of numerous facilities for all budgets, ranging from group shelters to lake-view pavilions.
$5 parking. Annual passes available.
7 a.m.–10 p.m.
8 a.m.–5 p.m.
Accommodations & Facilities:
• 1,816 Acres
• 3 Cottages ($165) — #3 is dog friendly ($45/dog, max 2)
• 13 Adventure Cabins
($135) — #8 & #15 are dog friendly ($45/dog, max 2)
• 6 Yurts
• 40 Campsites ($28–$32)
• 12 Walk-in Campsites ($25)
• 260-Acre Lake with Beach — seasonal
• 5 Picnic Shelters ($60)
• 2 Group Shelters (seats 80 & 100, $75–$160)
• Nature Center Pavilion ($85)
• Beach Pavilion (seats 150, $150)
• Pioneer Campground ($75)
• 2 Boat Ramps -- 10 HP limit on motors
• Gift Shop
Things To Do & See:
• First Time Camper Program
• Hiking — 20.5 miles of trails
• Biking — bike trail fee
• Muddy Spokes Club
• Disc Golf (fee) — annual passes available; no disc rental
• Boat Rental — seasonal
• Kayak, Canoe, Stand-Up Paddleboard & Pedal Boat Rental — seasonal
• Miniature Golf (fee)
• 2 Tennis Courts
• Basketball Courts
• Weddings — park approval required
• Athens, GA & University of Georgia
• Camp Twin Lakes/Will-A-Way
• Chateau Elan
• City of Winder
• Fort Yargo Living History Society
• Hard Labor Creek State Park
• Highland Walk Golf Course at Victoria Bryant
• Lake Lanier
• Road Atlanta Racetrack
• State Botanical Gardens
• Stone Mountain Park
• The Creek Golf Course at Hard Labor Creek
• Victoria Bryant State Park
• Watson Mill Bridge State Park
Fort Yargo State Park Master Plan
Fort Yargo School Brochure
Read a Review of the Adventure Cabins