Sapelo Island does not have a golf course, but you may want to visit The Lakes Golf Course at Laura S. Walker State Park
Approximate driving time:
1 hour, 15 minutes.
Total Distance: 57 miles
The Lakes features a natural beauty rare in golf courses today. Steve Burns' golf design was able to preserve much of that beauty by using native sand for the many traps and waste areas. Greens are undulating rather than tiered. Each fairway and landing area is defined with gentle, links-style mounds that accent the courses three large lakes. So natural is the course - and so close to the Okefenokee Swamp - that it's not uncommon to see an alligator roaming the waterways. What better incentive to keep the ball in the fairway?
Visit The Lakes Web Page
Located 9 miles southeast of Waycross on Ga. Route 177.
- Start out going Southwest on CR-78/ MENTIONVILLE RD toward GA-251/ I-95 BR. 0.09 miles
- Turn RIGHT onto GA-251/ I-95 BR. 0.94 miles
- Merge onto I-95 S/ GA-405 S via the ramp- on the left. 6.38 miles
- Take the GA-99 exit- exit number 42. 0.35 miles
- Turn RIGHT onto GA-99/ GRANTS FERRY RD. Continue to follow GA-99. 8.55 miles
- Turn SLIGHT LEFT onto GA-99. 6.87 miles
- Turn RIGHT onto US-82 W/ GA-520 W/ CORRIDOR Z. Continue to follow US-82 W/ GA-520 W. 32.38 miles
- Turn LEFT onto GA-177. 1.47 miles