|Steps to Apply to Host with Georgia State Parks:
You must be available at least 2 months for the minimum assignment
(choose a currently open space with at least 2 months remaining)
View openings at all parks, or choose a park above.
Campground Host Openings
Golf Host Openings
Historic Site Openings
Excursion Train Host Openings
On the host timeline, click a GREEN LINE to apply
Fill out the answers as completely as possible
It is best to be specific about the sites you are applying for, this will help us in directing your application more expeditiously. Parks and staff rely on this information for initial screening so please include what will make you marketable as a host for Georgia State Parks. Not every application can be approved, it is best to find several parks where you would be willing to serve.
VOLUNTEER / HOST MANUAL
Volunteer Host Manual - (PDF)
Host Agreement - (PDF)
LOG YOUR VOLUNTEER AND HOSTING HOURS
Please enter your volunteer hours online - this helps us show the tremendous level of support volunteers provide to Georgia State Parks!
HOST ORIENTATION VIDEOS & INTERVIEWS
HOSTING WITH GEORGIA STATE PARKS
Come to a state park in Georgia, chances are, the first people you see in the campground are our hosts. The campground host program is one of our most popular volunteer opportunities. In exchange for a free campsite and utilities for your RV or motorhome, hosts serve the park and the public. Hosts commit to a minimum of 2 months and up to a maximum of 6 months. Hosts contribute a minimum of 24 hours per week per couple. Retired couples often find it an ideal way to spend a few months.
- Provide information and explain rules and regulations to visitors
- Assist visitors with services available
- Collection of fees from visitors (as long as it is in compliance with authorized procedures)
- Distribute maps and brochures to visitors
- Perform light maintenance work around the campground such as picking up litter, cleaning and stocking restroom facilities
- Perform emergency repairs
- Perform emergency assistance for visitors such as unlocking gate in emergency situation, and keeping first aid kit on hand for minor cuts and abrasions
- Help reduce litter and vandalism (mainly by your presence)
- Gather information on use of facilities
- Keep park staff informed of any problems
- Work in the visitors center and retail centers
- Perform other duties as appropriate
The maintenance hosts work only with the maintenance staff at the park taking on projects to keep the park looking good. These can include: mowing, trimming, leaf blowing, building new campsites, pressure washing, and electrical repairs to name a few. The maintenance staff will determine what projects meet the volunteer's skills and build the duties that way. The host doesn't interact with the public as much in this role.
The yurt host is where the host is responsible for the yurt section of the park. Going in prior to a reservation and make sure that the yurt is ready for occupancy as well as doing a final clean up afterwards. Guests bring their own linens for yurts. Generally, turn over would be wiping down all surfaces and emptying the trash. Yurts are unique to most folks in Georgia so being a Yurt Host can also mean showing the guests where things are inside as yurt and also showing them where the closest bathhouse is. It is always good customer service to know about the park amenities and local businesses/restaurants to meet their needs.
GOLF COURSE HOST
To help the staff at our golf course enhance the experience for our guests who utilize the golfing facilities.
- Ability to work with people in a team environment
- Ability to provide excellent customer service
- Some experience working in a volunteer capacity
- Good physical condition needed for course management duties, including possible lifting, maintenance, cleaning, ladder work, etc.
- Maintain committed schedule for host slot allotted
- Some experience working with groups
- Plus the requirements of all Georgia State Park and Historic Sites Volunteers
24 hours per person per week; may vary from course to course depending on need.
: Required daily contact with the course assigned supervisor
: The duties of the golf host may vary from course to course. The day usually begins around 7:00am. For detailed list see the Volunteer Welcome Packet.
- Around the Driving Range
- Patrol Golf Course for Trash
- Patrol Golf Course and Clubhouse for Routine Maintenance
- Customer Service
EXCURSION TRAIN HOST
Time Required: 24 hours per person per week; may vary depending on season and train schedule
- Ability to work with people in a team environment
- Ability to work for long hours on days scheduled
- Knowledge of trains, electrical, construction, landscaping a plus
- Must have a customer service and people-person driven personality
- Must attend training and orientation regarding operations and safety of volunteering on the train
- Must be cheerful and helpful to passengers at all times
- And other duties as required for the smooth, successful functioning of train operations
OTHER HOSTING OPPORTUNITIES:
|| Chehaw Park is looking for a friendly and honest couple to serve as volunteer campground hosts. We are a 786 acre park located 1 mile N.E. of Albany Ga. on the banks of Lake Chehaw and Muckalee Creek. Amenities at the park include an AZA accredited zoo originally designed by world famous naturalist Jim Fowler, a small gauge railroad and train, playgrounds, walking trails, BMX bicycle track, 18 hole disc golf course, stocked catfish pond, boat dock on Lake Chehaw, nature trails, picnic and rental shelters and campgrounds. We offer a free 30/50 amp full hookup pull through site in exchange for 24 hrs/wk. Duties would include greeting and registering campers, maintaining restrooms and monitoring campgrounds. Check our website, www.chehaw.org for more information on the park. Contact the Natural Resources Manager at 229 430-5280 or firstname.lastname@example.org if interested.
|| Volunteer Camp Host for Wildlife Management Area in GA Towns Bluff RV Parkand Campground is looking for an honest, hard working, and friendly couple or single to serve as volunteer camp hosts. We are a small, quiet, county-maintained park located in the piney woods of South Georgia on the banks of the Altamaha River in the Bullard Creek Wildlife Management Area, near Hazlehurst, Georgia. We have a 25 site campground, primitive area, boat ramp, nature trails and day-use area. We offer a free hookup site with power, water, sewer, laundry, and WI-FI in exchange for a flexible 20 hours per week in host duties. Duties would include greeting and registering campers, cleaning restrooms, checking the day-use area of the park, and various others as needed. A park truck and two days off are provided. For more information about the park, visit www.townsbluffpark.com or contact park managers at 912-379-9303 or email@example.com, if interested.
Clybel WMA is looking for hosts to monitor camping activities on a primitive campground, pick up litter at the campground, and provide services or information to the campers. Hosts must have cleared criminal background check. Link to the Clybel WMA area: http://www.georgiawildlife.com/CharlieElliott/Hunting For more information on the roles and hosting opportunity at Clybel WMA, contact:
Bobby T. Bond, Wildlife Resources Division (478) 825-6354 Bobby.Bond@dnr.state.ga.us
Jekyll Island Campground (Jekyll Island Georgia ) is accepting applications for a friendly, energetic, hardworking retired couple or retired single person. We have 3 positions that we use Host Volunteers ( Bath Houses, Checking in guest after store hours, Grounds) . Come and enjoy “Georgia’s Jewel”. The Campground, with over 170 campsites, consists of 18 acres under a canopy of trees with beautiful scenery. Host is provided a full hook up site that includes (power, water, sewer, cable, Wi-Fi). Host must be able to work 24 hrs./wk. in exchange for site rental with a minimum of 3 months-6 months max. Come join our team here at Jekyll Island Campground in Southeast Georgia on the Atlantic Ocean. Email Resumes to Ronnie Douglas at firstname.lastname@example.org. Check out our website at www.jekyllisland.com **Currently accepting host applicants for 7/1/2015-11/1/2015
For more information on volunteering, contributing your time,
or to receive your copy of the volunteer information packet, please contact:
Nyleta.Wallace@gadnr.org | 770-389-7278
Division Headquarters - Panola
2600 Highway 155 SW
Stockbridge, GA 30281
| Available Dates
|| Reserved Dates
|| Requested Dates