Newly renovated visitors center
"The peaceful natural beauty of George L. Smith State Park and the serene, cypress filled water of the mill pond offer you a tranquil escape where a small town, down home atmosphere provides both recreational and historical experiences."
With natural beauty, lakeside camping and cozy cottages, this secluded park is the perfect south Georgia retreat. It is best known for the refurbished Parrish Mill and Pond, a combination gristmill, saw mill, covered bridge and dam built in 1880. A group shelter near the bridge is popular for family reunions and parties. Some campsites sit right on the water’s edge, while cottages with gas fireplaces and screened porches are nestled into the woods.
The park’s mill pond beckons anglers and paddlers to explore thick stands of cypress and tupelo trees draped with Spanish moss. Canoeists and kayakers can join the Park Paddlers Club. While on the water, nature enthusiasts can look for beaver dams, blue heron, white ibis and other wading birds. The park rents boats, and nearby outfitters offer guided paddle trips. Hikers can stretch their legs on seven miles of trails while searching for gopher tortoises, Georgia’s state reptile.
Reservations, Accommodations & Facilities
- 1,634 Acres
- 412 Acre Lake
- 8 Cottages
- 24 Tent, Trailer & RV Campsites — site-specific
- 4 Primitive Campsites
- 4 Picnic Shelters
- 1 Group Shelter (seats 94)
- 1 Pioneer Campground
- Historic Covered Bridge & Mill
- Wi-Fi — available in the park office
Things To Do & See
- Biking — 7 miles of trails
- Boating — 10 HP limit
- Park Paddlers Club
- Boat Rental
- Kayak, Canoe & Aquacycle Rental
- Georgia's Classic South
- Georgia Southern University
- Gordonia-Alatamaha State Park & Golf Course
- Magnolia Springs State Park
- Mill Pond Kayak
- Statesboro, GA
- Twin City, GA
In The News
- Paddle George L Smith State Parks' Amazing Black Water - 365 Atlanta Traveler
- Georgia's Hidden Treasures: George L. Smith - Channel 2 Action News 2011
Park 7 a.m.–10 p.m.
Office 8 a.m.–5 p.m.
Fees & Passes
$5 parking. Annual passes available.
371 George L. Smith State Park Road
Twin City, GA 30471
N 32.5585600 | W -82.1193700