Recreational Trails Program

 Our office coordinates Georgia’s Recreational Trails Program (referred to frequently as “RTP”), which provides funding for trail construction, trail maintenance and trail education. The Recreational Trails Program awards grants to city governments, county governments, federal agencies, authorized commissions, as well as state agencies.


Overview

The RTP is a grant program. The United States Congress appropriates funding for the Program, and the Federal Highway Administration manages the Program, but it is administered at the state level. In Georgia, administration is handled by staff of the Department of Natural Resources. The purpose of the RTP is to provide and maintain recreational trails and trail-related facilities identified in, or that further a specific goal of, the Statewide Comprehensive Outdoor Recreation Plan (SCORP). Grants are generally awarded on an annual basis after the following process is complete: applicants submit their applications, Program staff rank the applications, the Advisory Committee reviews them, the Director of Administrative Services for DNR reviews them and the Federal Highway Administration approves them.


Recreational Trail Program 2017–2018 Cycle

The Georgia Department of Natural Resources (DNR) is pleased to announce the 2017–2018 Georgia Recreational Trails Program (RTP) Grant cycle. Major RTP changes include changing to biennial grant cycles, with a new cycle beginning every two years. Maximum grant amounts have also increased from $100,000 to $200,000, with 20% local match required.

The $200,000 represents 80% of the total project cost which is $250,000. This does not mean 20% of $200,000. The Federal Highway is giving 80% of the total project cost and the remaining 20%, funded by the sponsor, will complete the 100% of the $250,000 project.

$200,000 + $50,000 = $250,000

      80%    +    20%      =    100%

The 2017–2018 RTP grant cycle manual is posted to the right under RTP Information. This new manual includes essential program information, the funding cycle timeline, applications and related forms. Due to the number of changes being implemented with this new grant cycle, anyone considering applying for the 2017–2018 RTP grant cycle is advised to review the workshop PowerPoint, also posted under RTP Information if unable to attend one of the workshops in September.  We anticipate approximately $4 million available for disbursement to local governments this funding cycle for eligible recreational trail projects.   

If you have any questions or need additional information please contact Jodie Gardner at (404) 463-1779 or Audrey Camp at (404) 463-1030. We look forward to partnering with you to provide quality recreational trails for your citizens. 


Advisory Committee

A committee of individuals interested in Georgia trails advises Program staff on policy issues and potential grant awards. The committee meets at least once a year. Meetings are open to the public, and reports of the minutes are available from Program staff. The current members of the committee are listed below.

Bicyclists

Keith Owen, Southern Off-Road Bicycle Association

Rick Moon, Southern Off-Road Bicycle Association

Off-Road Vehicle Users

Kenneth Sutz, Southern Four Wheel Drive Association

Bruce Dreher, Georgia Recreational Trail Riders Association

Equestrians

Randy Brown, Back Country Horsemen of North Georgia

Debbie Crowe, Chattahoochee Trail Horse Association

Water Trail Users

Dan MacIntyre, Georgia Canoe Association

Second Position Vacant

Hiking, Jogging, Fitness (Pedestrian) Users

Greta DeMayo, Fulton County

Carlton E. Harris, Lumpkin County

O'Ree Crittenden, Muscogee County

Carolyn Hartfield, Hartfield's Hikers, OPALS (Older People with Active Lifestyles), Atlanta African American Adventures


Links

The Statewide Comprehensive Outdoor Recreation Plan, as posted by the state Division of Parks, Recreation and Historic Sites


Contact Us

Staff

Jodie Gardner, Program Manager

Telephone: (404) 463-1779

E-mail: Jodie.Gardner@dnr.ga.gov

Audrey Camp, Outreach Coordinator

Telephone: (404) 463-1030

E-mail: Audrey.Camp@dnr.ga.gov

Mail

Recreational Trails Program
2 Martin Luther King Jr. Drive SE, Suite 1370 East
Atlanta, GA 30334