» Visitor Center Notice:
› All visitors must register at the Visitor Center.
» Hiking Notice:
› View Hunting Schedule
› The Laurel Ridge Trail is a safety zone and is open for hiking at all times, even during scheduled hunts.
» Fishing Notice:
› Trout fishing is only allowed on Wednesdays, Saturdays and Sundays (daily for cottage guests). Reservations required.
Smithgall Woods is an angler’s paradise. One of north Georgia’s premier trout streams, Dukes Creek, runs through this spectacular mountain property and is a favorite for catch and release fishing. To ensure a quality experience, the number of anglers is limited and fishing is offered only on certain days. As a result, anglers should call ahead for reservations. Five miles of trails and 18 miles of roads allow hikers and bicyclists to explore hardwoods, streams and wildlife.
Smithgall Woods is also an elegant mountain retreat, perfect for romantic getaways, small weddings or outings with friends. Six beautifully decorated cottages — Creekside Cottage, Smithgall Cottage, Dover Cottage, Parkside Cottage, Garden Cottage and Laurel Cottage — provide 17 bedrooms with telephones and television. Some cottages have porches along the stream, while others have private hot tubs. A 1 mile trail leads from the cottages to Dukes Creek Falls.
Smithgall Woods was acquired by the state in 1994 as a gift-purchase from Charles A. Smithgall, Jr., a noted conservationist and businessman.
Reservations, Accommodations & Facilities
- 5,664 Acres
- 6 Cottages
- Pioneer Campground — call park to reserve, youth & conservation groups only
- 2 Picnic Shelters
- Visitor Center
- Discovery Room Museum
- Gift Shop
Things To Do & See
- Archery — reservations required
- Educational Programs — reservations required
- Fishing — trout, reservations required, catch & release only
- Guided Tours — first Saturday of every month
- Hiking — 28 miles of trails
- Interpretive Programs — reservations recommended
- Weddings — park approval required
- Alpine Village of Helen
- Blairsville, GA
- Blue Ridge Mountains
- Brasstown Bald
- Cabbage Patch Kids/Babyland General Hospital
- Dahlonega Gold Museum State Historic Site
- Don Carter State Park
- Dukes Creek Falls Recreation Area
- Folk Pottery Museum
- Hardman Farm State Historic Site
- Moccasin Creek State Park
- Raven Cliffs Wilderness Area
- Unicoi State Park & Lodge
- Vogel State Park
Read more about us here:
Park 7 a.m.–Dark
Office 8 a.m.–5 p.m.
Fees & Passes
$5 parking. Annual passes available.
61 Tsalaki Trail
Helen, GA 30545
N 34.691950 | W -083.767150