Check Last Minute Availability
Located south of Savannah on the banks of the Ogeechee River, this scenic park showcases the best-preserved earthwork fortification of the Confederacy. The earthworks were attacked seven times by Union ironclads but did not fall until 1864—ending General William T. Sherman’s “March to the Sea.” Visitors can explore the grounds with cannons, a furnace, bombproof, barracks, palisades and more, while a Civil War museum contains artifacts, a video and gift shop.
Nestled among giant live oaks, Spanish moss and salt marsh, this park is a beautiful location for camping, fishing, boating and picnicking. Seven cabins sit on stilts near the marsh, surrounded by palm trees and palmettos. The shaded campground is bordered by tidal Redbird Creek, a boat ramp, fishing dock and nature trail. A large picnic area offers river views and playgrounds, while another boat ramp provides access to the Ogeechee River.
$5 parking. Annual passes available.
No parking fee for guests visiting just the historic site.
7 a.m.–10 p.m.
8 a.m.–5 p.m.
Historic Site Admission:
- Adults (18–61): $9.00
- Seniors (62+): $8.00
- Youth (6–17): $5.00
Group rates available with advance notice.
Accommodations & Facilities:
• 1,725 Acres
• 7 Cottages ($195–$225) — #3 is dog friendly ($45/dog, max 2); #1 is ADA accessible
• 58 Campsites ($27–$32)
• 2 Backcountry Campsites ($10/person)
• 2 Picnic Shelters ($30)
• Group Shelter (seats 150; $95–$220)
• Pioneer Campground ($50)
• Earthwork Fort
• Civil War Museum & Film ($2–$9)
• Gift Shop
• Boat Ramps, Dock & Fishing Pier
Available in the park office
Things To Do & See:
• Daily Programs — 2 p.m. weekdays; 10 a.m. & 2 p.m. weekends; topics include soldier life, guided fort tours, weapons, wildlife, crafts & more
• Civil War Programs
• Self-Guided Fort Tours — guided tours by reservation
• Saltwater Fishing
• Kayak, Canoe & Stand-up Paddleboard Rental
• Hiking — 4.3 miles of trails
• Bike Rental
• Birding — Colonial Coast Birding Trail
• Photography (sitting fee)
— park approval required
• Georgia Battlefields
• Brunswick & The Golden Isles of Georgia
• Historic Downtown Savannah
• Fort Jackson
• Fort Morris Historic Site
• Richmond Hill, Georgia
• Skidaway Island State Park
• Wormsloe Historic Site
Recreation in nearby Florida State Parks:
• Amelia Island State Park
• Big Talbot Island State Park
• Little Talbot Island Island State Park
• Anastasia State Park
• Fort Clinch State Park
Historic Forts in nearby Florida State Parks:
• Yellow Bluff Fort Historic State Park
• Castillo De San Marcos National Monument
• Fort Matanzas National Monument
• Fort Mose Historic State Park
Fort McAllister State Park Business Plan