» Covered Bridge Notice:
› Due to the height (9-foot clearance) and weight (3-ton limit) restrictions for the covered bridge, regular RV campers should enter from Highway 22. Equestrian campers should enter the park from Highway 72.
Divided by the winding South Fork River, Watson Mill Bridge State Park boasts Georgia’s longest covered bridge still in use, preserving a link to the culture of a bygone era and opening passageways to outdoor activities, rustic overnight experiences and equestrian adventures.
One of the most picturesque state parks in Georgia, Watson Mill Bridge contains the longest covered bridge in the state, spanning 229 feet across the South Fork River. Built in 1885 by Washington (W.W.) King, son of freed slave and famous covered-bridge builder Horace King, the bridge is supported by a town lattice truss system held firmly together with tree nails. At one time, Georgia had more than 200 covered bridges; today, less than 20 remain.
The park is an ideal spot for an afternoon picnic or overnight stay in the quiet campground. Hiking, biking and horseback riding trails allow visitors to enjoy the thick forest and river. During summer, visitors often play in the cool river shoals just below the bridge. Watson Mill Bridge has become a popular destination for horse owners who have their own camping area near stalls.
Reservations, Accommodations & Facilities
- 1,118 Acres
- Covered Bridge — 9-foot clearance, 3-ton weight limit
- 21 Tent, Trailer & RV Campsites
- 11 Equestrian Campsites
- 1 Buddy Equestrian Campsite
- 22 Horse Stables
- 3 Log Cabin Bunkhouses
- 1 Group Shelter (Before making reservations, call park for capacity limits.)
- 3 Picnic Shelters (Before making reservations, call park for capacity limits.)
- 3 Pioneer Campsites (Before making reservations, call park for capacity limits.)
Things To Do & See
- Biking — 5 miles of trails
- Hiking — 7 miles of trails
- Horseback Riding (trail fee, annual pass available) — 14 miles of trails
- Muddy Spokes Club
- Weddings — park approval required
- Kayak & Canoe Rental — seasonal
- Athens, GA
- Georgia's Classic South
- Richard B. Russell State Park & Golf Course
- Robert Toombs House State Historic Site
- Victoria Bryant State Park & Golf Course
- University of Georgia
- Broad River WMA
- Redlands WMA