Now open at Little White House.
"Inspired by the natural wonders of Pine Mountain Ridge, F.D. Roosevelt State Park bridges the hope of the past to preservation for the future."
At 9,049 acres, Georgia’s largest state park is a hiker’s and backpacker’s haven. More than 40 miles of trails, including the popular 23 mile Pine Mountain Trail, wind through hardwood and pines, over creeks and past small waterfalls. Many visitors are surprised to find rolling mountains 80 miles southwest of Atlanta. Above King’s Gap is Dowdell’s Knob where President Franklin D. Roosevelt sometimes picnicked and pondered world affairs. A life-size sculpture of the president now welcomes visitors to the overlook.
Several park amenities were built by the Civilian Conservation Corps during the Great Depression, including cottages and the Liberty Bell swimming pool fed by cool springs. A wooded campground sits near the edge of a small fishing lake, and privately operated stables offer guided horseback rides. In 1924, FDR came to this part of Georgia to swim in naturally warm springs that offered relief from polio. Today, nearby Roosevelt’s Little White House State Historic Site invites visitors to see his modest home, a museum and the pools that first drew him here.
Reservations, Accommodations & Facilities
- 9,049 Acres
- 2 Lakes
- 21 Cottages
- 115 Tent, Trailer & RV Campsites
- 16 Backcountry Campsites
- 2 Picnic Shelters (Before making reservations, call park for capacity limits.)
- 2 Group Shelters (Group Shelter below Leak Deleanor dam seats 85, Lake Franklin Event Center seats 125. Before making reservations, call park for capacity limits.)
- 1 Group Camp (capacity 75. Before making reservations, call park for capacity limits. Swimming is not currently allowed in Lake Franklin)
- 5 Pioneer Campgrounds (Before making reservations, call park for capacity limits.)
- Liberty Bell Swimming Pool — seasonal
- Gift Shop
- Outdoor Fitness Equipment
- Wi-Fi — available in the park office
- Roosevelt Stables
Things To Do & See
- F.D. Roosevelt Statue at Dowdell's Knob
- Educational Programs — program application
- Hiking — 42 miles of trails, Pine Mountain Trail
- Horseback Riding — 28 miles of trails, stables (reservations required)
- Interpretive Programs
- Swimming (fee) — seasonal
- Weddings — park approval required. Email wedding coordinator
- Boat Rentals at Park Office : Jon Boats, Kayaks, Aqua Cycles, Canoes
- Callaway Gardens
- Columbus, GA
- LaGrange, GA
- Pine Mountain, GA
- Roosevelt's Little White State House Historic Site
- Macon-Bibb County, GA
- Thomaston, GA
- Warm Springs
- Wild Animal Safari
- Big Lazer Creek WMA & PFA
- Blanton Creek WMA
July 1 - August 1
Wednesday to Sunday, 11am to 6pm
August 7 - September 6
Saturday & Sunday only, 11am to 6pm
Open Labor Day
|Pool Rates||Wed & Sun||Closed Mon & Tue|
|Senior Citizen 65+||$3|
|Children Under 3||$2|
|Military With I.D.||$4|
Camper and Cottage Guest Specials
- 3 day pass - $25 (Limit 6 per family, must show receipt)
- 2 day pass - $20 (Limit 6 per family, must show receipt)
Season Pass Rates
Picnic Shelter Rental
Family (up to 6 people) - $75
15-50 - $3/ea
2 Hours (12pm, 2pm, 4pm) - $25
Pool Rental After Hours
6:00pm - 8:00pm - $150
Requires 2 lifeguards at $25.00 cash per lifeguard / max 50 swimmers, each additional 25 swimmers require 1 additional lifeguard at $25.00. Call the park office for more info and to reserve (706) 663-4858.
In The News
- Review on AtlantaTrails.com
- FDR State Park: 25 Ways To Explore & Enjoy This Ga Treasure - 365 Atlanta Traveler
400 Mile Challenge
Walk, run, hike or bike 400 miles in beautiful F. D. Roosevelt State Park within a year of start date. Obesity has more than doubled over the past twenty years. Now is the time to get children and adults active, and what a better way to do so than spending your time outside?
The challenge is based on the honor system which encourages responsibility and honesty in each participant. It is up to the participants to record their mileage for each day. After completion, participants who completed the 400 miles challenge will receive a certificates and t-shirts. If you complete the 400 miles before the year is complete we encourage you to keep recording your mileage. While 400 miles may seem overwhelming at first, it is only a little over one mile a day to complete the task.
- $10 fee which includes a 400 Mile t-shirt after completion.
- $20 fee which includes mesh drawstring bag, and a 400 mile t-shirt after completion.
- $65 fee which includes an annual ParkPass, mesh drawstring bag, and a 400 mile a t-shirt after completion.