Brand new ADA accessible fishing dock
Beautiful Magnolia Springs State Park is known for its crystal clear springs flowing 7 million gallons per day. A boardwalk spans the cool water, allowing visitors to look for alligators, turtles and other wildlife near the springs. A small lake is available for fishing. Overnight guests can choose from cottages and a campground. Magnolia Springs State Park is part of the Muddy Spokes Club, encouraging bikers to finish a 3-mile loop and work toward earning a members-only t-shirt.
During the Civil War, this site was called Camp Lawton and served as “the world’s largest prison.” Today, little remains of the prison stockade; however, the earthen breastworks which guarded it may still be seen. During 2010, Georgia Southern University archeology teams uncovered the stockade wall and numerous personal articles from soldiers. Their discovery has been heralded as one of the most significant finds in recent history. Artifacts are currently on display at the university and at the Camp Lawton museum located at Magnolia Springs State Park.
Reservations, Accommodations & Facilities
- 1,070 Acres
- 9 Cottages
- 26 Tent, Trailer & RV Campsites
- 3 Walk-In Campsites
- 1 Pioneer Campground
- 2 Group Shelters (seats 40-100)
- 8 Picnic Shelters
- Fishing Dock
- Splash Pad — seasonal
- Magnolia Springs History Center
- 3 Playgrounds
- Wi-Fi — available in the Visitor Center
Things To Do & See
- Biking — 5 miles of trails
- Hiking — 5 miles of trails
- Muddy Spokes Club
- Natural Spring
- Weddings — park approval required
- Canoe, Kayak & Aquacycle Rental
- Bike Rental
- Archery (no open range, events only)
- George L. Smith State Park
- Georgia's Classic South
- Gordonia-Alatamaha State Park & Golf Course
- Hamburg State Park
- Augusta, GA
- Savannah, GA
- Di-Lane Plantation WMA
- Ohoopee Dunes WMA
- Time Team America - Lost Civil War Prison - PBS show filmed at Magnolia Springs State Park
Park 7 a.m.–10 p.m.
Office 8 a.m.–5 p.m.
Splash Pad 10 a.m.–6 p.m.
Fees & Passes
$5 parking. Annual passes available.
1053 Magnolia Springs Drive
Millen, GA 30442
N 32.873333 | W -081.961633