Please note: the Hard Labor Creek Reservoir located in Walton County is not owned or operated by Hard Labor Creek State Park or the Georgia Department of Natural Resources. Please visit hardlaborcreek.com for information on recreation opportunities at the reservoir.
"Hard Labor Creek State Park’s many beautiful Piedmont habitats intertwine with the historic landscape transformed by the Civilian Conservation Corps, providing solace and solitude for recreation and reflection."
While this park may be best known for its golf course, it also offers a wide range of recreational opportunities in a beautiful wooded setting. A lakeside beach is popular with swimmers during summer months, and more than 24 miles of trails are available for hikers and horseback riders. Horse owners even have their own private camping area near stalls. Other overnight guests can choose from fully equipped cottages or a modern campground. With so many ways to relax, it is ironic that the park’s name is thought to come from slaves who tilled summer fields or American Indians who found the creek difficult to cross.
Located between Madison and Covington off I-20, The Creek Golf Course provides one of Georgia’s best golf values, along with a pro shop, driving range, rental carts and special rates for seniors and children. The 18 hole course is a favorite for its challenging layout and well maintained greens combined with a pristine, natural setting.
Hard Labor Creek is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
Reservations, Accommodations & Facilities
- 5,804 Acres
- 20 Cottages
- 51 Tent, Trailer & RV Campsites — 13 with sewer hook-ups
- 11 Tent/Pop-Up Campsites
- 2 Buddy Campsites
- 2 Group Shelters (seat 85 & 120. Before making reservations, call park for capacity limits.)
- 2 Group Camps (sleeps 75 & 120. Before making reservations, call park for capacity limits. Open seasonally.)
- 4 Pioneer Campgrounds (Before making reservations, call park for capacity limits.)
- 4 Picnic Shelters (Before making reservations, call park for capacity limits.)
- 11 Horse Campsites
- 30 Horse Stables
- 1 Event Room (seats 100. Before making reservations, call park for capacity limits.)
- Equestrian Riding Ring
- Sand Beach — seasonal
- Lake Brantley - 48 Acres, no boat ramp
- Lake Rutledge - 274 Acres, boat ramp, 10-hp limit
- Wi-Fi — available in the park office & golf course clubhouse
Things To Do & See
- Off-road Biking
- Field Trips
- Outreach Programs
- Horseback Riding
- Mini Golf - fee required
- Paddling - seasonal, rentals available
- Swimming - seasonal
- Weddings - park approval required
Quota Hunt - Annual
Safety Zones Map PDF - If you have the Avenza PDF reader app on your phone, you can download the map, open it in that app, and it should be able to give you a location when you are at that site. Geo-Referenced maps are not always 100% accurate. They should be used in conjunction with, and not in place of, other traditional methods of navigation or personal familiarity of an area.
In The News
- Athens, GA
- Madison, GA
- Lake Oconee
- Panola Mountain State Park
- Charlie Elliott Wildlife Center, Clybel WMA, & Marben PFA
- Redlands WMA