New Visitors Center
Check out our new visitors center and retail store.
» Group Boat Reservations:
› Group tours offered weekdays only and must be booked in advance.
"Nestled as a natural refuge in the city of Winder, Fort Yargo State Park offers you a nearby escape from metro-life with exciting adventures along multiple recreational trails including one of the only remaining forts for early settlers."
Located between Atlanta and Athens, this popular park features a 1792 log fort built by settlers for protection against Creek and Cherokee Indians. Today, visitors come to Fort Yargo for its wide variety of outdoor recreation and scenery. Overnight guests can choose from fully equipped cottages, adventure cabins or cozy campsites. For a more unique experience, visitors can reserve lakeside “glamping” yurts, which are permanent canvas and wooden "tents." Each yurt has furniture and electricity inside and a fire ring, picnic table and grill outside.
A 260 acre lake offers a large swimming beach, fishing and boat ramps. Mountain bikers and hikers can test their endurance on 20.5 miles of trails. The park’s wooded disc golf course is exceptionally challenging. Fort Yargo State Park is also a beautiful location for outdoor weddings, reunions and other celebrations. Visitors have a choice of numerous facilities for all budgets, ranging from group shelters to lake-view pavilions.
Reservations, Accommodations & Facilities
- 1,816 Acres
- 260 Acre Lake
- 3 Cottages
- 13 Adventure Cabins
- 6 Yurts
- 40 Tent, Trailer & RV Campsites
- 12 Walk-In Campsites
- 5 Picnic Shelters
- 2 Group Shelters (seats 80 & 100)
- 1 Event Room (seats 62)
- 1 Lake Pavilion (seats 75)
- 1 Beach Pavilion (seats 150)
- 1 Pioneer Campground
- 2 Boat Ramps
- Sand Beach — seasonal
- Gift Shop
- Boating — private boats permitted, 10 HP limit
- Disc Golf (fee) — annual passes available
- Educational Programs
- Hiking — 20.5 miles of trails
- Miniature Golf (fee)
- Muddy Spokes Club
- Weddings — park approval required
- Jon Boat, Kayak, Canoe, Stand-Up Paddleboard & Pedal Boat Rental — View Rental Prices - April to October (weekends only in Apr, May, Aug, Sept). Hours and days of availability may change due to weather or seasonality. Please call the park office to confirm or check our web page for updates on availability.
- Athens, GA
- Camp Twin Lakes/Will-A-Way
- Chateau Elan
- Fort Yargo Living History Society
- Hard Labor Creek State Park & Golf Course
- State Botanical Gardens
- The University of Georgia
- Victoria Bryant State Park & Golf Course
- Watson Mill Bridge State Park
- Redlands WMA
- Buford Trout Hatchery
Group Field Trips
In The News
Park 7 a.m.–10 p.m.
Office 8 a.m.–5 p.m.
Fees & Passes
$5 parking. Annual passes available.
210 South Broad Street
Winder, GA 30680
N 33.9842 | W -83.7335