"Marvel at the tallest cascading waterfall south of Atlanta at High Falls State Park, where you can revel in nostalgic recreational pastimes, investigate a rich cultural timeline and natural backdrop, while you throw a line in High Falls Lake which is recognized as one of the nation’s top family fishing destinations."
Located northwest of Macon, High Falls State Park is named for tumbling cascades on the Towaliga River. Boat rental, ramps and fishing docks provide easy access to the park’s lake, known as one of Georgia’s top fishing spots for hybrid and white bass. Overnight visitors can choose from a spacious campground or lakeside yurts, which are like canvas and wood tents. Each yurt features a small deck, picnic table and grill outside, plus furniture, electrical outlets and a ceiling fan inside. During summer, guests may cool off in the park’s swimming pool.
Visitors can hike along the river’s edge and through hilly forest to the remains of a hydroelectric power plant foundation. In the early 1800s, this area was a prosperous industrial town with several stores, a grist mill, cotton gin, blacksmith shop, shoe factory and hotel. High Falls fell from prosperity in the 1880s when a major railroad bypassed it. Today, the park is a popular camping destination and a relaxing side trip for travelers on I-75.
Reservations, Accommodations & Facilities
- 1,050 Acres
- 650 Acre Lake
- 6 Yurts
- 106 Tent, Trailer & RV Campsites, some seasonal
- 1 Pioneer Campground
- 1 Paddle-In Primitive Campsite (sleeps 25)
- 1 Group Shelter (seats 125)
- 5 Picnic Shelters
- River Pavilion — for campground guests only
- Swimming Pool (fee) — seasonal
- 2 Boat Ramps
- Playgrounds (Note: the playground in the River Campground B Loop has been removed)
- Boating — private boats permitted, 10 HP limit
- Hiking — 4.5 miles of trails
- Miniature Golf (fee)
- Weddings — park approval required
- Boat Rentals — jon boats, kayaks, canoes, stand-up paddleboards & aquacycles
- Ball's Ferry
- Dauset Trails
- Forsyth, GA
- Indian Springs State Park
- Dames Ferry Campground
- Jarrell Plantation State Historic Site
- Macon, GA
- Piedmont National Wildlife Refuge
- Pine Mountain, GA
- The Village at Indian Springs
In The News
Park 7 a.m.–10 p.m.
Office 8 a.m.–5 p.m.
Fees & Passes
$5 parking. Annual passes available.
76 High Falls Park Drive
Jackson, GA 30233
N 33.178333 | W -084.020533