"Relax in the cozy family friendly campground, cast a hook in a clear mountain stream or enjoy boating on lovely Lake Burton at Moccasin Creek State Park nestled within the Chattahoochee National Forest."
Sitting on the shores of lovely Lake Burton, Moccasin Creek prides itself on being “where spring spends the summer.” Despite its mountain location, the park is relatively flat, offering easy navigation for large RVs, children’s bicycles and wheelchairs. A fully accessible fishing pier sits above a trout-filled creek open only to seniors 65 and older and children 11 and younger, as well as all ages with a Georgia disability fishing license.
At 2,800 acres, Lake Burton is a prime spot for skiing, boating and fishing. Kayaks, stand-up paddleboards and canoes can be rented during warmer months. Park visitors can tour an adjacent trout rearing station, hike on several nearby trails in the Blue Ridge Mountains or simply relax in this peaceful setting. The park’s central location makes it a perfect jumping off spot for exploring area waterfalls, mountain bike trails, shops and restaurants.
Reservations, Accommodations & Facilities
- 32 Acres
- 2,775 Acre Lake Burton
- 53 Tent, Trailer & RV Campsites
- 1 Picnic Shelter
- Boat Dock & Ramp
- Wildlife Observation Tower
- Fishing Pier — ADA accessible
- Wi-Fi — available in the park office & campground
Things To Do & See
- Boating — private boats permitted
- Fishing — stream (restricted to seniors 65+ & children under 12), lake
- Hiking — 3 miles of trails
- Kayak, Canoe & Stand-Up Paddleboard Rental
- Alpine Village of Helen
- Appalachian Trail
- Black Rock Mountain State Park
- Blue Ridge Mountains
- Dahlonega Gold Museum State Historic Site
- Don Carter State Park
- Chattahoochee National Forest
- Hardman Farm State Historic Site
- Scenic Highway 197 Shops & Restaurants
- Smithgall Woods State Park
- Southern Highroads Trail
- Tallulah Gorge State Park
- Unicoi State Park & Lodge
- Swallow Creek WMA
- Burton Trout Hatchery
Park 7 a.m.–10 p.m.
Office 8 a.m.–4:30 p.m.
Fees & Passes
$5 parking. Annual passes available.
3655 Highway 197
Clarkesville, GA 30523
N 34.844916 | W -83.588087