» Group Boat Reservations:
› Group tours offered weekdays only and must be booked in advance.
"Nestled as a natural refuge in the city of Winder, Fort Yargo State Park offers you a nearby escape from metro-life with exciting adventures along multiple recreational trails including one of the only remaining forts for early settlers."
Located between Atlanta and Athens, this popular park features a 1792 log fort built by settlers for protection against Creek and Cherokee Indians. Today, visitors come to Fort Yargo for its wide variety of outdoor recreation and scenery. Overnight guests can choose from fully equipped cottages or cozy campsites. For a more unique experience, visitors can reserve lakeside “glamping” yurts, which are permanent canvas and wooden "tents." Each yurt has furniture and electricity inside and a fire ring, picnic table and grill outside.
A 260 acre lake offers a large swimming beach, fishing and boat ramps. Mountain bikers and hikers can test their endurance on 20.5 miles of trails. The park’s wooded disc golf course is exceptionally challenging. Fort Yargo State Park is also a beautiful location for outdoor weddings, reunions and other celebrations. Visitors have a choice of numerous facilities for all budgets, ranging from group shelters to lake-view pavilions.
Reservations, Accommodations & Facilities
- 1,816 Acres
- 260 Acre Lake
- 16 Cottages
- 6 Yurts
- 46 Tent, Trailer & RV Campsites
- 12 Walk-In Campsites
- 5 Picnic Shelters (Before making reservations, call park for capacity limits.)
- 2 Group Shelters (seats 80 & 100. Before making reservations, call park for capacity limits.)
- 1 Event Room (seats 62. Before making reservations, call park for capacity limits.)
- 1 Lake Pavilion (seats 75. Before making reservations, call park for capacity limits.)
- 1 Beach Pavilion (seats 150. Before making reservations, call park for capacity limits.)
- 1 Pioneer Campground (Before making reservations, call park for capacity limits.)
- 2 Boat Ramps
- Sand Beach — seasonal
- Gift Shop
- Biking and bike rentals
- Boating — private boats permitted, 10 HP limit
- Disc Golf (fee) — annual passes available
- Educational Programs
- Hiking — 20.5 miles of trails
- Miniature Golf (fee)
- Muddy Spokes Club
- Weddings — park approval required
- Jon Boat, Kayak, Canoe, Stand-Up Paddleboard & Pedal Boat Rental — View Rental Prices - April to October (weekends only in Apr, May, Aug, Sept). Hours and days of availability may change due to weather or seasonality. Please call the park office to confirm or check our web page for updates on availability.
- Athens, GA
- Camp Twin Lakes/Will-A-Way
- Chateau Elan
- Fort Yargo Living History Society
- Hard Labor Creek State Park & Golf Course
- State Botanical Gardens
- The University of Georgia
- Victoria Bryant State Park & Golf Course
- Watson Mill Bridge State Park
- Redlands WMA
- Buford Trout Hatchery
Quota Hunt Safety Zone Map
Safety Zones Map PDF - If you have the Avenza PDF reader app on your phone, you can download the map, open it in that app, and it should be able to give you a location when you are at that site. Geo-Referenced maps are not always 100% accurate. They should be used in conjunction with, and not in place of, other traditional methods of navigation or personal familiarity of an area.